What disease is caused by an overdose of vitamin D?

What disease is caused by an overdose of vitamin D?

What disease is caused by an overdose of vitamin D?

The main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause nausea and vomiting, weakness, and frequent urination. Vitamin D toxicity might progress to bone pain and kidney problems, such as the formation of calcium stones.

Can too much vitamin D be poisonous?

Vitamin D toxicity is rare, but it does occur with extremely high doses. It usually develops over time, since extra vitamin D can build up in the body. Nearly all vitamin D overdoses result from taking high amounts of vitamin D supplements. It’s almost impossible to get too much vitamin D from sunlight or food.

Can I take 60000 IU of vitamin D daily?

No one developed hypercalcemia or any adverse events. The major finding of this case series is prolonged daily dosing of vitamin D3 with doses of 10,000 to 60,000 IU was safely tolerated.

Can a child overdose on vitamin D3?

Research over the last decade has shown that vitamin D has wide-ranging, beneficial effects, from improving bone health to reducing cardiovascular disease. But too much can also be toxic, especially for children. “Although vitamin D toxicity is very rare, intoxication still happens in children,” said Dr.

Can I take 6000 IU of vitamin D?

To be safe, do not exceed the 4,000 IU (100 mcg) upper limit without consulting a doctor or dietitian. Vitamin D toxicity usually develops over time, and the harmful effects are very complex. Large doses may cause damage, despite a lack of noticeable symptoms.

Can you take 20000 IU of vitamin D daily?

In terms of upper limits, there has never been a case of toxicity at levels below 200 ng/mL. It takes about 100 IU per day for every rise in blood levels of about 1 ng/mL, so to get all the way up to 200 ng/mL it would take 20,000 IU per day at a minimum, and probably more.

Can a child take 5000 IU vitamin D?

Babies need a vitamin D boost Either the baby can be given drops of 400 IU a day directly or the mother can take 5,000 IU a day (half the safety threshold), which will fortify her milk with enough vitamin D for the baby.

Can I take 20000 IU of vitamin D daily?