How do I make a polygon shapefile?
How do I make a polygon shapefile?
Creating a new shapefile
- Start ArcCatalog.
- Select a folder or folder connection in the Catalog tree.
- Click the File menu, point to New, then click Shapefile.
- Click in the Name text box and type a name for the new shapefile.
- Click the Feature Type drop-down arrow and click the type of geometry the shapefile will contain.
How do I convert a polygon to a shapefile in Arcgis?
In the Editor toolbar, select the Edit Tool. In the map frame, right-click one of the selected polygon features and click Copy. Right-click the selected features again and click Paste. In the Paste dialog box, select the polyline shapefile as the Target and click OK.
How do I add a polygon to a shapefile?
Add a new shapefile or feature class to your project (right click on folder/feature dataset > new Shapefile/Feature Class… > feature type “Polygon”). Make sure to define your coordinate system if you are working with a shapefile.
How do I convert a polygon to a shapefile in Google Earth?
- Go to a place on the map.
- Above the map, click Add Path. To add a shape, click Add Polygon.
- A “New Path” or “New Polygon” dialog will pop up.
- To draw the line or shape you want, click a start point on the map and drag.
- Click an endpoint.
- Click OK.
How do I export a shapefile from a polyline?
Export polylines with attributes to a shapefile
- MAPEXPORT at the command line. This will bring up the Export Location dialog box.
- Export Location: Choose Files of type:ESRI Shapefile (*.
- OK in the Export Dialog box and a shapefile will be created, complete with attribute data, for use with GIS applications.
How do I create a shapefile in Excel?
How to create a shapefile from XY coordinates using Excel and ArcMap:
- Open ArcMap.
- Open the Catalog Pane* and navigate to your file (can be a .
- Right click on your file and hover over “Create Feature Class”, then select “From XY Table…”
How do you turn a polygon into geometry?
See what’s new!….How To: Convert a polygon Z geometry to a polygon geometry shapefile in ArcGIS Pro
- In the Geoprocessing pane, click the Parameters tab and select the polygon Z geometry feature layer to be converted for Input Features.
- Click the Environments tab and under Output has Z Values, select Disabled.
- Click Run.
How do I convert polygons to lines in ArcMap?
- Start ArcMap.
- Add the polygon feature class, shapefile or coverage to the map.
- Convert the polygon to a polyline. A.
- Double-click on the line layer symbol in the Table of Contents.
- If symbolizing the lines as cased, right-click on the layer in the Table of Contents and choose ‘Use Symbol Levels’.
How do I create a shapefile from a layer in ArcMap?
Search for the Feature Class to Shapefile (multiple) tool. For Input Features, select the desired layer package file. For Output Folder, click the Browse icon to specify the location. Click OK to generate the shapefile.
How do I create a shapefile without ArcGIS?
the solution with the minimum learning time is to install QGIS on your computer. Then you go to “Layer > new > New shapefile layer” and you enter the menu for creating a new shapefile. select the type (point/line/polygon), the coordinate reference system, and optionnally some attributes.
How do I extract a polygon from Google Earth?
In Google Earth, create the polygon that you wish to bring into RockWorks. Or, locate the polygon that currently exists in your Saved Places listing. Right-click on the item, and choose Copy from the pop-up menu. Or, right-click on the item, and choose Save Place As to save the locations in a KMZ file.