Helpful Advice on how to Compose a Title for Thesis Paper
The title of the thesis paper is one of its most important components. This is the first thing your committee members, who will examine your researches, will pay attention to. Also, the heading is the key to finding your work by readers interested in your topic through an online search. You can spend a lot of time researching and create a great project with deep informative content, but nobody will read it if the heading will be boring and meaningless. A catchy title is already half the battle.
Thus, advice to help you create an appropriate and interesting title for your thesis paper is described below.
First of all, finish work
The first advice is that before you come up with a heading, accomplish the main task – write your dissertation. The primary function of a title is to reflect the content of the thesis paper in a few words. It will be difficult for you to identify accurately the main points of your work until it is totally done. For exact determination of the subject and scope of your thesis paper, ask the following questions:
- What is the paper about?
- What methods were used to perform your study?
- What or who was the subject of your study?
- What was the result?
Moreover, you will need to answer similar questions for thesis services, if you cannot choose a title for your thesis paper by yourself. On such platforms, professional PhD editors will provide you with the necessary assistance.
Take advantage of appropriate descriptive words
After you reveal the answers to the questions, identify and list keywords and phrases from them. These words will reflect all of the most important information of the thesis paper and form a foundation of your title. Moreover, the importance of keywords is that it is with their help that the potential reader will find your work via online search engines.
However, avoid using too many technical terms, or abbreviations that are rarely found and maybe not understandable for the general reader.
Use the simplification method
This method will make the title finding process easier.
- First, using listed keywords compose a long sentence from them. For example, for the keywords, such as “global warming, Antarctic, bird population, Antarctic petrel, Antarctic penguin, anthropologists”, and the Secondary Data Analysis method used during the research, long sentence will look like this: This study is Secondary Data Analysis which shows changes in the population of two species of Antarctic birds, such as Antarctic penguin and Antarctic petrel, because of Global warming.
- Second, delete all redundant words. Keep only the most important information: “…changes in the population of… Antarctic birds… Global warming”.
- Third, change places of some words, shift them around and rephrase to make it sound natural. This is a result: Analysis of changes in the population of Arctic birds because of Global warming.
Titles for thesis papers, unlike other academic works, allow you to make a choice in favour of longer headings. But do not run to extremes – the ideal number of words for such a task is 5-15 words. A large accumulation of unnecessary words may take the reader’s attention away from an important point.
Also, you may divide too long heading into the main title and an explanatory subtitle for a better view and ease of perception.
Take into account little details
And the final advice is never inserted a period at the end of your thesis paper title. According to English grammar, in this case, the heading is not a sentence, so a punctuation mark is not required.